Sunday Funday

By , July 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Some links and fun videos for ‘ya. Hope everyone enjoyed their Sunday!

The Homophobia Keeper – Homophobia in literature (particularly in sci fi and fantasy)

deviance, rape culture, and the courtroom – In cases where one is accused of rape, how does the presumption of innocence shape public perception differently than in other crimes?

The Complexity of Fluid Dynamics in Slow Motion – Warning! Objectification of women! (I don’t like myself for liking that link as much as I do…)

Schrodinger’s Rapist – I really like this post, and have used the concept to explain to some of my male friends how I view men differently now that I’ve transitioned, and am more aware of presenting myself as a woman.

Now for a funny video. She’s not actually bad looking to begin with, which is frustrating, but it’s still amusing.

Super Heroes vs the Westboro Baptist Church – I heard me some geeks!

Low cost health care in Chicago – Already used it to save about $20/month on my meds! Awesometastic!

NYT Ethicist’s dangerous advise on outing “transgendered” people – BOOO!!! (But go Feministing) (Also at Dating and “Disclosure”)

I’ve never been super successful at link shares here at The Thang Blog, but I’ll still give it a try. What fun things have you been reading or writing this week? (Or ever. I don’t do this consistently, so lets open it up!)

9 Responses to “Sunday Funday”

My take on this Schrodinger’s Rapist stuff.

1. Women do have an exaggerated sense of danger from men. This 1 in 60 stat assumes that rapists limit themselves to 10 women. Yeah right. Rapists do not limit themselves to 10 women.
    It also assumes that random men are the threat, as does most rape prevention discussion. But most rape victims know the rapist, and I don’t mean they went on one date with him. I mean he’s her uncle, her family friend, her husband.

2. Women use this claim of vulnerability to rape in ways that are manipulative and wrong. For example, claiming that vulnerability to rape is a reason to stigmatize guys with body odor. ?!?! This is the same way it’s used in the Michigan womyn’s festival too. This claim of vulnerability by women is the way that they claim women’s spaces in a way that excludes people trying to be women (such as my younger self- I’m bitter about that). This claim that men are violent beasts is also a part of the racist history of this country.

3. It is not unrelated that women reinforce a sense of fear in each other over the possibility of rape as much as possible. This is a huge part of the creation of gender norms, this convincing women that if they go out at night they’ll be raped.

4. Women see guys as more attractive sexual partners if they aren’t the most considerate, unfortunately. It’s manly to push her buttons. Half the romance novels out there, if not more, feature men who are not menches. And yes, there is a difference between fantasy and what a woman really wants, but it is disingenuous of the Take Back the Night movement to ignore how much of sexual interaction is about power and games.

There’s a book that I read that articulated this better than I have, called The Female Thing: Dirt, Sex, Envy, Vulnerabiltiy by Laura Kipnis, which is a good book for the most part but really trans oblivious.

Now, I don’t know how much claim I have to experience living as female. But I can say that I have stayed out late at night walking for hours from ages 12 and up, and didn’t go on testosterone til age 19. And I got warned that I was gonna be raped, blah blah blah. Well, I wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong- I’ve been assaulted. Mostly during daylight hours by school kids. I hate summer partly because it has so many day light hours. And a few times I may have put myself in danger trying to interfere between a woman and her abusive boyfriend. And I am furthermore aware and take a certain pleasure in the fact that the night streets are not populated by lone, feminine, individuals (except prostitutes), although to say that the night streets are male would not be true- I saw plenty of masculine women and very few feminine men on the streets at night. The night streets are a macho space. But that doesn’t mean that they’re waiting to rape anybody.

Jonah

I’m placing any further comments of yours in moderation. If you would like to continue this discussion, please feel free to email me. I outline below why I’m placing your comments in moderation.

Concerning Point 1, I’m not sure if you’re saying women are exaggerating the danger of being raped or aren’t.

Point 2 – I’ll agree that the transphobic position of the MWMF is an extreme take on the “all men are rapists” attitude. Likewise, trying to determine what it means to be a “woman” as a threshold for entering “woman only spaces” is a dangerous game. However, you make a big claim (“women use this claim of vulnerability to rape in ways that are manipulative and wrong”) without – in my opinion – offering that much evidence. More to the point, and I want to make this very clear, the official position of this blog is that we do live in a rape society, and claims to the contrary will not be viewed positively.

(By “rape society” I mean a society which, on the whole, pays only lip service to rape as a social ill while promoting violence against women in the news, in popular culture, and in social interactions.)

Point 3 – Part of living in a rape society is the placing of blame on women for being raped. The end result of this is that, yes, women reinforce this perspective rather than pushing the alternate (and accurate) view that rape is the responsibility of the rapeist. That said, I’m not sure what this adds to the discussion.

Point 4 – This is what caused me to place further comments of yours in moderation. Specifically,

Rapists rape women. You’re absolutely right that we, as a society, need to examine the messages women are putting forth in terms of how they interact sexually with others. Few things frustrate me more than when I see my female friends say “no” but mean “yes.” And I’ve called them out on it because, ultimately, it’s perpetuating a culture in which “no” doesn’t mean “no.” However, I’ve also called out my male friends for reading a “no” as a “yes,” even if his reading was correct.

That is, I hold my friends to the standard – especially in sexual situations – of always meaning what they say, and always believing what they’re told.

However, those cultural expectations do not somehow create a slippery slope toward rape, and to say otherwise is bordering on rape apology.

Last but not least, simply because you were never raped doesn’t mean A) no one else has been and B) women’s fear of rape is illegitimate. Stories of sexual assault and abuse come across my RSS reader on a daily basis, and many of them involve trans women. Has that made me change my behavior as I’ve transitioned? Honestly, I try not to let it; I don’t want fear to rule my life. But it’s damn well made me more aware of my surroundings, whether my friends know where I am and who I’m with, and made me more conscious of what I do or don’t consider “safe behavior.” I’m really disappointed in you for implying that my concerns are unwarranted and unjustified.

• Ash says:

Rebecca, Rebecca, Rebecca! You are the greatest. Thank you for your mature, well-reasoned and thoughtful response to Jonah. I found his comments problematic and unfair and was upset on a visceral level. You are absolutely right, we live in a rape culture, and one person’s anecdotal experience of not being raped does not negate the issue of rape.

Thank you Rebecca for your insight, your nuanced feminism, and your light.

• rose says:

Wow, that was douchy. Congratulations, you have successfully perpetuated rape culture!

Hey Rose. I agree with you, but I’d rather not use that language. I let Jonah know why his comment was unwelcome, and I think that’s enough.

2. Maddie says:

I keep meaning to blog about how good this post is at Trans Youth Takes On World, called Passing as a (cis) woman because it’s so spot on.