Day 3 at the hospital

By , May 5, 2010 11:04 am

Proof of hospitalization! This is from 2 days ago, though. I look MUCh less happy now...

Had six (count ‘em – SIX) gallstones out yesterday. The gallbladder is definitely infected, but it’s just a question of whether they’ll be able to take it out today or tomorrow (which is what I’m hoping for) or whether I’ll have to come back in a few weeks (boooo).

Interesting point of pride/embarrassment: I am apparently, out of thr 5,000 gallstone removals my doctor had preformed, the only one to REACH UP UNDER SEDATION AND PULL THE TUBE OUT OF MY THROAT. I have no memory of this (fortunately) but I had to be put totally under, something they rarely need to do for gallstone removal. I apparently REALLY don’t like things down my throat.

There goes my career as a deep-throat artist.

11 Responses to “Day 3 at the hospital”

1. wealhtheow says:

Woah, you are *bad ass*. Good luck with your further operations!

2. John says:

HUGZ
    Get better

Wow Rebecca… I also had to be under general anesthesia for my ERCP. I didn’t pull my throat tube out though, I just thrashed around, dislodged my IV, and started bawling. That effectively dislodged the tube down my throat. When I woke up and found that 5 hours had passed instead of the promised one, and that my father had gone home, I was distraught.

Sorry to hear that you are stuck in the hospital. Are you keeping busy or bored out of your mind?

Can I assume that it was laparoscopic and not arthroscopic cholecystectomy you meant in your previous post?

4. piny says:

Holy fucking shit. I don’t check in for a few days and this happens?

Get well soon, hon.

5. r. says:

Youch! Hope you feel better soon.

6. gladys says:

Wow!! I thought I was the only one who freaked out and couldn’t be sedated. I had the same situation almost exactly–I don’t think I pulled out the tube, but apparently I gave those docs the fight of their lives. Originally I assumed it was my tolerance for opiates that made it impossible to sedate me without actually killing me (I was a former heroin addict who had, just weeks before the hospitalization, finished weaning myself off methadone maintenance–they say it takes about a year or so afterwards before your endorphins normalize completely and your tolerance disappears.) My only memory (and be glad you don’t have this one, cuz it sounds a lot like what happened to you!) is the sensation of someone pulling about a yard of garden hose out of my throat while I simultaneously gagged and tried to do the hose-puller some great violence. Right after that was when they put me under and finished what they’d been about to do. But I seriously thought I was just an odd case–it’s vaguely comforting to hear that other people have reacted in much the same way!!

Just from my experience, once they finish all the procedures and whatnot, you will feel a million times better. (But then comes the moment when you want nothing more than a greasy cheeseburger and the fascists at the hospital won’t let you have anything more challenging than jello. That’s a bad day too…)

Anyhow, get well soon–gallstones are no fun!

Youch! Sorry to hear you had such a lousy experience, Gladys. But from what my doctors said, every so often patients will have a “paradoxical reaction” to sedatives. That is, instead of putting them under, the exact right circumstances can make them react violently. Boo!

But thanks for your well-wishings, and I’m glad that it sounds like it’ll all be worth it in the end.

7. M says:

That’s absurd, LOFL.

Too bad about your deep throat career.

8. […] questions, most recently (and repeatedly) asked when I was in the hospital in 2010 to get my gallbladder removed. Doctors came in and asked. Nurses came in and asked. More doctors. More […]