As I look forward to continued writing and performing, I’m brainstorming about interesting metaphors for transitioning. I previously worked with the constructed myth of Ares and Aphrodite, about a child who was assigned the wrong gender by the gods. Likewise, in my most recent piece, Trans Form, I used a physical box full of costumes and props as a metaphor for the emotional weight of pre-transition life, and of the complicated and confusing natrue of transitioning. I’d like to play with both of those metaphors more, but I’d love to find some other avenues to explore, too.
Things that spring to mind, or that I’ve used in the past:
- Caterpillar/butterfly (a bit obvious)
- The Little Mermaid (from Trans Form)
- Cooking – a recipe for transitioning, with instructions on ingredients/baking time/etc
- Being trapped or constrained
- Puppetry or being a puppet
Anyone else have some interesting transition metaphors? I’d love to hear ‘em!