A tattoo?

By , February 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Should I get a tattoo?

I’ve been thinking about it as a way to claim authority and control over my body. I’m not sure where or what, but the general idea has been resonating with me.

8 Responses to “A tattoo?”

1. auraesque says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a while, but haven’t spoken up until now. That sounds creepier than I meant it to. Anyway:

I got a tattoo after my rape as a way to reclaim my body. It was my second. It’s a lotus on the back of my neck to remind me that I can’t always see my strength, but I am strong. My other tattoo is a dragonfly on my hip bone. Both tattoos I designed and put away for a year. The idea was that if after a year I still loved them, I could drive up to my tattoo parlor and get them done.

::grin:: Not creepy at all.

That sounds like a really great tattoo, but I think you’re also giving good advice about not rushing into body modification. There’s something really tempting about making a decision and wanting to do it RIGHT NOW, but that’s a good way to end up with a lousy tattoo. And I’m not totally sure I’m even at that point of decision, anyway.

Realistically, if I do decide I want a tattoo, I don’t know that I’d want to wait a year for it. But I do think waiting a few months – some good stretch of time – is a really good idea.

How long have you been thinking about it? The obvious answer is that you need to have a good idea of whether you’d ever regret it, and how you’d likely feel about it, both one day later and one lifetime later. One of my online friends says when he wants a tattoo, he designs it and then files the design away and comes back to it a year later- if he still wants it then, he gets it.

• Mym says:

This is the advice I’ve heard… I’ve wanted a tattoo for a while, as another way of personalizing my body, but I’ve never found a design that’s passed this test.

On the other hand, I love my piercings, though there also I’ve held off a bit and stuck to a few, arranged to balance the asymmetry of my face.

I’ve also thought of getting more piercings. I only have one earring per ear right now, so maybe getting a cartilage piercing or something more along those lines might be a better place to start. If that’s the kind of body reclamation/modification I’m thinking about.

I’ve only been thinking about it for a few weeks. And you’re right, having a way to put the brakes on it is a good idea. As I said to auraesque, I don’t know that I’d want to wait a year, but I do think waiting a at least a few months is a really good idea.

3. M says:

Yes! I love mine, and would love to get a third, though I have yet to decide what. Its up to you how much time and thinking you want to devote to it. Yes, its “permanent” but it can be removed if you ever really want to. Plus, I doubt you’d regret it.

4. […] surprised me by saying she’d been thinking about tattoos, since I hadn’t told her about my thoughts. But I guess a friend of hers (my mom’s age) and her daughter (my age) had gotten tattoos […]